Monday, May 07, 2007

Commercials

Having worked in the video production field for about 10 years, I can honestly say " I like commercials." Well... wait... let's rephrase that "I like GOOD commercials." Lately the people that do the Geiko (caveman), and the Target ads are really putting out some quality work. I also like the new emerging trend of actually telling us what quirky, cool song you are using. The current favorite in our house happens to be a Burger King spot for "Chicken Fries"

My beautiful bride, and I must have watched it 5 times the first time we saw it... it currently is DVR'd and we watch it every other day or so. Think about that... a commercial so good, people actually keep it and watch it at will... granted, I have yet to go buy any Chicken Fries, but I know about them.

I really love "local" commercials. Commercials that were obviously made for about $100 bucks. These were my favorite clients when I worked at the TV station. With a budget of $100 or so, usually meant I didnt do much graphic work for them (other than a logo or something), but I was always impressed with what Dave, Brett, Charlie, and the Jeffs could come up with. People would put their kids in the commercial, their dogs, some legends tell of mistresses, and such. They always had a great "catch phrase" as well. I remember a pawn shop called "#1 Pawn". Their phrase was " We make everyone else look like #2." AWESOME! The guy that owned the place was a piece of work as well. He would always be holding huge fans of $100 bills, and have guns hanging off of him in the commercials. He would invite people down to see what kind of deal his daughters could make for you. And his daughters could beat down most of the guys that came in the joint. Think Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling. Think the Bartender from Shrek 2. So much fun.

Watching TV last night I see a commercial for "Nutrisystems" diet program. In this spot, they actually say the line "If you can eat, you can lose weight." My brain had a stroke right then and there. What kind of retarded ass thinking is that??? You know, I am pretty sure if you CAN'T eat you will lose weight as well. That's like saying "If you can Breathe, you can quit smoking." I realize they are saying "Everyone can do it", but it just sounded dumb.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is totally off-topic, but I saw this and thought you'd love it.

http://galleryoftheabsurd.typepad.com/14/britney_spears/index.html

On the left if you click on the "category" links there is more artwork. For some reason I think this chick had classes with Maria Michalcheck, it feels like her style... all of those little piggies.

Enjoy :O)

me

admin said...

Gotta love those creative MAC commercials. Hysterical.

Chad said...

Ya.. I agree. John Hodgeman (PC) really cracks me up. There was a great story on "This American Life" about him walking into the Soho Apple store. He said he felt like Mickey Mouse at Disneyland. People just started swarming him.

Duane k said...

How about the American Rental ones where the guy answers every question by pointing at the "customer" (probably his wife). Then at the end they both smile and give a big thumbs up! [cue jingle ... american rental... it's the all american way!]