Monday, April 21, 2008

3 Penny Candy

Over the weekend, I went over to a friend's house to watch UFC pay-per-view. On my way, I decided to stop at a local grocery store and pick up a snack for the evening. Some nice Brach's bulk candy... malt balls to be specific. I walk to the back of the store, pick up a paper bag, and put about half a pound of chocolate covered goodness inside. I casually stroll to the front of the store, a couple of employees stocking shelves say Hello, and ask if I need help finding anything. I get in the express lane and get my wallet out, and pull a couple of dollars out of it. The cashier was a high school girl, just chewing away at her gum, and watching the clock. She scans my bag of bulk candy, which I didn't catch at first, and then turns to me and says, "Your total is 3 cents."

WHAT?!? She scanned it, she didn't weight it and type in the awesome candy code, just scanned the UPC on the Brach's bag. Which apparently cost 3 cents.

I look at her, I look at the check out screen... it says : Paper bags - .03. I look at the guy behind me, with a bit of a confused look on my face. He gives me the international symbol for "Hell if I know, whatever." I look at the cashier again, and no sly little smile, no wink, no nothing... this is a normal transaction to her. I shove my dollars in my pocket, and hand her a nickel. She gives me a receipt for my paper bag, and 2 pennies. I take my change, my receipt, and my 99% discount, and walk to my car very confused. Then happily eat my candy. Very strange... I wonder if she works every Saturday night....hmmm.

No comments: