Friday, September 01, 2006

Where to start

Well, I have been sitting here for about 20 minutes trying to decide what I want to start my blog career off with. I don't want to do the "standard" I am blah blah years old, I have blah blah, and enjoy blahing. What do I want this blog to be? Should I post about stuff I like? Things I think are funny? who knows? I will just start posting like I have been doing this for years...

I can't stop thinking about old video games. I really want to build a MAME Cabinet, so I can play all the old classics the way they were (kinda) meant to be played. For my birthday, my beautiful bride took me to an arcade here in town called "1984". $5 at the door, lets you play all you want. All games are free play, except for pinball which is only a quarter to help keep them maintained. I was 14 years old again. I walked around the place first, just laughing, pointing, and saying "Oh, man! (Insert Video Game Title here)!". Asteroids, Ms. Pac-Man, Battlezone, DigDug, Pole Position, Tempest, Gorf, and many more. I decided to check out the High Score board, to see what was in reach. Asteroids - 26,000. "I can beat that!", I think to myself. Started the game, and was transported back to the Bowling Alley I grew up next to in Kansas City. The arcade in that bowling alley is the thing I remember most about playing games. Dark room, music playing overhead, and the sounds of all the machines. It all came back to me in a rush. The controls were lower than I remembered, and I kept bumping my head on the Marquee. But the sounds, the music, the flashing screens... Heaven. I spent the next 3 hours, just giggling. With a stupid grin on my face, that didn't go away for days.

I did beat the Asteroids High Score, nearly doubled it. I got a free pass, and a button stating " I beat your High Score - 1984 Hall of Fame". I talked to one of the owners, and found out that the high score board had recently been "reset". So, my accomplishment wasn't that great after hearing the previous score was in the 300,o00 range.

Oh well, for one night, I was king of the Bowling Alley again.

No comments: