Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Let me go wild...

I was born in 1970. Using simple math, that means I went from being 10 years old to 20 years old during the 80's. Think about the differences in those 2 ages for a second. The difference between a 5th grader and a Junior in College. So, its no wonder that my DEEP love for Punk, Ska, and Alternative Music is part of who I am now... Ah... Dead Kennedys, Fishbone, They Might Be Giants, The Dead Milkmen, The Specials..... LOVE IT!

But last night, while watching TV, it hit me... I am a target now. An Advertising Target. While watching Jack Bauer, something horrible happend... my ears were treated with a wonderful snippet from Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes. But my eyes were seeing a Burger King commercial. What?! Had my brain finally snapped? Did some neurons get fired in the wrong direction? Confusion filled my skull. Happy wonderful music, bringing back memories of concerts in dive bars in St. Loius, mixed with the over whelming urge for a Whopper! and a silly (but fun) hat. Then, in a flash, it was over.

I had a wave of sorrow wash across my body, and then another. The first wave was the self-realization, that I am now a target demographic, 30-45 year old Adult. Somthing that all of the above bands made me rebel against. The second, more depressing wave, was that I now would have to call one of my all-time favorite bands a sell out. Puppets of the Corporate dollar. I hadn't fell this bad since I heard about Devo 2.0. (FYI, if you are a DEVO fan AT ALL, even just a little bit. Do not google Devo 2.0. You don't want to know... you really don't. Gerald Casale still owes me a written apology
, for allowing that travesty to spawn.) My musical youth is being twisted into something horrible and is being used against me. Why, oh why???

Now if you will excuse me, I gotta go put on my checkered shirt, and my parachute pants now.

No comments: