Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Birthday Bash!

Well, my birthday is less than 2 weeks away. My beautiful bride asked me this morning what I would like to do to celebrate it. So I have been doing some thinking. I really enjoyed what we did last year, which was the subject of my first official post on this blog, going to 1984 arcade. A few years ago, I had a small get together, and had a poker tournament. I was pretty good friends with the "trophy and plaque" department then, and had some custom plaques made for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. They were a big hit, and more coveted than the prize money (in my mind, at least).

While I enjoyed both of those, I was trying to think of something new. But then the thought hit me to sort of combine the two. A Video Game Tournament. Everyone comes to the arcade with me, and we keep track of your best scores of the night, on about 10 games. Come up with some sort of ranking system to determine the winner. That way the wives and/or kids could be part of it too. The poker tournament somehow was a "guy only" thing. It wasn't designed that way, it just worked out that way. I would try to work out some "old school" design for plaques and see if my connections still work. OR..... set it up as a "Beat the Geek" style format. I would play the games and set a score that everyone would have to beat on each game, and then people would get prizes and rewards for "Beating me at my own Game". This would, of course, require me to go to the arcade a few days before hand and see where the bar should be set for each game (double arcade bonus!) You know.... for research purposes.

No comments: