Friday, October 19, 2007

The little things

I can't believe it has been a week and a half since Mom died. It was very surreal to watch the rest of the world go about their business, while my world had been full of sadness. I find myself doing OK, but every so often something just hits and I break down again.

Sunday Night my oldest brother headed back to KC, and stopped by the house to drop off some food and stuff. Food people had brought that there was no way Dad could eat all of it, and it would have started to spoil, and a couple of Wal-mart bags. I open up the bags, and inside are a couple of outfits Mom had bought for my girls. I pull them out to show my wife, and we both start to cry. I remember her mentioning that she had bought them something. That kind of thing. I am sure setting up the bench this weekend will be tough, as well as planting the trees Big Dave got for us to remember Mom by.

Dad seems to be doing as well as can be expected. He has had friends make him dinner, or invite him out all this week. Wednesday, he called while we were waiting in the drop off line for Tiny's pre-school. Apparently he has lost his cell phone, as he called me on Mom's. Her picture popped up, and that made me a little sad. We talked for a bit, and then he asked if he could talk to Tiny. Mom and Dad call all time, just wanting to talk to the grandkids... I am used to being second fiddle. I hand the phone to her, and she says "Hi Grandpa!", I can hear him crying through their conversation. She hands the phone back to me, and he is trying his best not to cry while talking to me. It really hurts me to think how sad he must be. I tell him I love him very much, and that we will see him this weekend.

I know going down there this weekend is going to very hard. Tiny will surely ask a few questions that will be pretty tough to handle. Going to try to get some stuff cleaned up, and see what we can do for him. We still have a long way to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chad-
for what it counts, when I drive by the cemetary I think of your mom and your family, and I pray for ya'll. I look at my mom, sick for so long, and know it is only a matter of time before that grief will be mine too.
The service was beautiful and I have seen others do those balloons and I think they are beautiful...please
forgive my spelling...
Tanya