Friday, June 08, 2007

MAME Plans

I have been wanting to build a MAME Cabinet for quite some time now. The biggest thing stopping me was the Size of some of the actual cabinets. I don't really want a huge monstrosity of a thing just sitting in the corner of the basement. I have been looking at plans after plans for them, and I think I may have found a nice compact design.

I like it for a few reasons. First, its not very big or intrusive. It could easily be disguised as an end table. Second, it wouldn't require mounting a huge TV or Monitor in the cabinet... the guy that build this one used a 17 monitor. You can get those anywhere, CHEAP!. Third, the realization that I don't need a control panel where 4 players can play at once. I will most likely be playing this by myself, and if friends come over, they will just have to share.

I will change the control panel a bit, I don't need the roller ball. There are only 2 games that I would want the roller ball for anyway, Centipede, and Missile Command. I was never really good enough at either of these games to justify dropping $160, just for the roller ball. I may invest some of that money saved into an extra 4 way stick. Just to get that authentic Pac-man stick feel.(The 8-way joystick gets hung on the diagonals, and screws with your game experience.) I will also increase the number of buttons to accommodate my Asteroids fix. Because playing Asteroids with a Joystick is Arcade Blasphemy.

No comments: