Friday, March 30, 2007

Little known fact...

Every so often I get an e-mail from someone that wants me to answer 50 questions about myself, and send it back. The idea being that you might learn something about a friend you didn't know before. I don't mind answering them, but I like to throw a curve ball every so often. Recently, one of my nieces sent me one of these lists and one of the questions was "How many tattoos do you have?". I answered "One." I then pictured the scene in my head of her reading that, running to my brother and asking "Did YOU know HE has a tattoo?". A conversation would be had, and then later in casual conversation with Mom, my brother would ask about my tattoo. This would immediately cause her to call me and ask about it. To which I would reply " Yeah, I have a tattoo, it is of an upside down duck with a beach ball, on my left bicep." Screaming would follow, and then I would explain that if she didn't like it, I would take it off. As it was put there by my 3 yr old. But, either my niece wasn't phased by the fact that I had tattoo, or I imagine things way more than I should, because nothing happened.

ANYWAY... I got another list of questions the other day, and a question was on this one that I hadn't seen on others. It was "What is something that most people don't know about you?". This one made me smile, because I have a doosie. And I love sharing it when I can. Here it is:

I have over 150 Bungee Jumps under my belt.

When I was 22, I saw an ad in the paper looking for "Thrill Seekers" for a new attraction in Country Music Hell. They were building a Bungee Tower, and needed people to work there. Being the crazy, fearless and 22, I went and applied. (Granted I was applying more for the Cashier part of the business, as I had been doing payroll, books, and deposits for my parents restaurant, but I applied.) A week later I get a call telling me to come in for an interview. I show up, and am surrounded by "extreme" types of people. People that LOOKED like they could be Lifeguards, Surfers, Aerobic Instructors... you get the idea. Lots of good looking, tan, thin people. The first question they asked in the interview is " Are you afraid of heights?" WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD SAY "YES"??? That would be an instant disqualifier if you ask me. Which they did... so I guess its not as crazy as it first sounded. Even though, I was fairly afraid of Heights, let alone jumping off of them, I said "No". During the interview, I was asked alot of questions about my cash handling experiences. My inside track had paid off, as one week later I receive another call asking if I would like to be part of the team. I accepted their challenge.

A couple of days later, I go to attend a one week "orientation". A VERY tan, hip, California-type guy was leading the training. The first words out of his mouth were " OK, let's get this out of the way first. We are doing nothing today, but jumping off that tower." I became more pale than I already was. Thankfully they were going by weight. Tipping the scale at 235 (Max for jumping was 240.), meant I was going to be one of the last to go. Which was good, I could see how things worked, and listen and talk to other that had gone, and build up my nerve. I was starting to get excited about it... that is until they called my Group. I went from "more pale" to "semi-transparent."

I never measured the tower in the time that I worked there, but I would guess it at about 80-100 feet. Not a very big bungee jump, but still enough to get the point across. I slowly start my way up the stairs of the tower. I got up about half way before the butterflies in my stomach realize what was going on. When I reached the top, it was fairly obvious by the way I was bear hugging the posts, that I had lied about my fear of heights. I slowly made my way out to the jump platform. The 20x30 foot safety air bag that looked huge on the ground was nowhere near as big from up there. They hooked the bungee cord to my harnesses. The tower employed an umbilical attach to the cord, as opposed to the more commonly seen Ankle attach. The cord (and myself) was protected by a 6 foot foam enclosure that kept the cord from tangling near you, and prevented it from "rope burning" you as you fell. I stepped out to the jump platform. My knees go weak, my heart pumps so hard, I can hear my pulse. They obviously could see how scared I was, and told me that it is easier to fall backward than jump forward. As the view would be that of the tower going away from me, instead of the ground rushing toward me. I agree, and backed up to the edge. I look down between my heels and see nothing for 100 feet. I have a death grip on the hand rails. After 2 minutes (seemed like an hour) of calming me down, Johnny California counts down " 3...2...1...JUMP!" My brain tells my hands to let go, but my hands respond with a few choice curse words and a petition from the other body parts, that they in fact aren't crazy about this idea anymore. He tells me to let go, and I tell him "I did". I start laughing. Which is something apparently I will do, when I am about to die. Johnny counts again, and I wrap both arms around the foam pad protecting the cord. " 3...2...1..."

I didn't so much "fall" backwards, as my legs went limp, and I collapsed backwards. I was falling. Falling fast. But felt no resistance from the cord. Still falling, and still no resistance. I then made the very manly decision to "Scream like a big, fat woman". Not a yell like "This is AWESOME!", but a Scream like "I may die". Then.... resistance... and slowing... and then I stopped. I open my eyes and look around. I am 2 feet from the top of the air bag. Just hanging there. I look around and see everyone laughing, and I think to myself "I'm alive." Apparently the neurons that form the words "I'm alive" also psychically make bungee cords retract. Because at that second... I fell up. That is the best and most descriptive way I have for that sensation... Falling Up.

I shoot 70 feet into the sky, and am weightless for a couple of seconds... it is truly an amazing feeling. I then proceed to laugh, whoop, holler, yell, and laugh some more, as I bounce 3 more times. Everyone watching is laughing and yelling along with me. Johnny California pushes a lever, and I drop from about 20 feet into the air bag. I cannot stop laughing, or shaking for that matter. The ground crew come to help me off the bag. I cannot stand up. SO MUCH adrenalin is going through my body, I can do nothing but shake and laugh. I don't think I ate for a day and a half, my body just lived off adrenalin during that time. I remember the owners of the place coming over to me, with big smiles on their faces. " Ready to go again?," they asked. "HELL, YES!" I responded, as I collapsed to the ground, vibrating.

During the time I worked there, I logged over 150 jumps. I did 6 in less than an hour one day, to help train a new "Jump Master" ( The name of the job Johnny California was doing). I got to the point where I was doing double back flips off the platform, and quad front flips on the first rebound. To this day, my calves are sculpted and hard as rocks. Not one day went by that I didn't have to go up (and sometimes down) the 10 stories of stairs to reach the top of the tower, at least once. I never called working there "work", I always said " I am going to Bungee ".

Probably the best job (as far as fun) I have ever had.


1 comment:

Jamie said...

What a great story, I admire your courage---I am a big, fat, chicken and I could never do something like that. Thanks for sharing!