Thursday, April 26, 2007

Return of the Logo from Hell

IT'S BA-A-A-ACK!

Yesterday I was "officially" (Duane had tipped me off a week ago, but I blanked that out of my memory) informed that the "Logo from Hell" (part 1 of the ordeal) has to be redone. Apparently, everyone on the committee for this project had signed off on it, except for one of the co-presidents. And since he didn't care for the logo, I have to redo it. There are a number of rants I could go off on here.

Rant 1 : The "All or Nothing" approach to approval. One person (granted, it was the co-pres of the company) doesn't like the logo, and everyone else's opinion gets thrown out the window. Why is there a committee then?

Rant 2 : Why is one of the PRESIDENTS of a LARGE company making this decision. Why are there 7 layers of management then??? I hate to think that EVERY decision has to go through the EXECUTIVE committee. Those poor people must not get anything else done.

Rant 3 : I finished that project in January. JANUARY! Its almost MAY! It has been floating around for 3 months in limbo???

Rant 4 : Logo design is a tricky beast to start with. But a general rule is: Simple = Better. This logo has no less than 6 elements. Company Logo, PSP, The Main Thing, 3 other text elements, and then something to tie them all together. The feedback I got was to make the tire look like is was spinning out, or torque-ing. Great idea... add more elements.

Rant 5 : The complete lack of direction. " I don't know what I want, but I know I don't like that...just give me 5 or 6 more ideas."

(deep breath) Ok... better now.... I hope my coupons for free candy get here soon... I need a fix.

Stay tuned to see what a designer pushed to the brink of insanity can appease the masses (or co-pres) with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The name of the company doesn't start with an O and end with Reilly does it?

The description of management and decision making just sounds awfully familiar...

Anonymous said...

I'm a tool... I didn't look at the original post...

Yep... that's O'Reilly style "management." One of the many reasons I left that company.